In May of 1945, Virgil and Ines Duncan of Wichita Kansas, bought the property now known as Port Duncan to create a fishing resort. With little in the way of roads, no drinking water on site, no electricity and no telephone service, the Duncans labored for years to build one of the first, and largest, resort marinas on Grand Lake. They sold the property in 1962, and the name officially became “Port Duncan”.
In 1963 new owners, Star Marine of Tulsa, built the Privateer. It was a private club with dinner and entertainment available to boaters. The club and its docks were located in Port Duncan’s middle cove where the Privateer condos exist today. One of only two dining and dancing destinations available by water at the time, it greatly added to the prestige of Port Duncan. The Privateer burned down, amid some controversy, in the early 80’s.
Today, there are approximately 500 lots in the gated complex with something over 200 residences. The Port Duncan homeowners association actively works to improve the quality of life for residents. As a result of their work, all roads in the development are paved, the commons areas are kept mowed and esthetic improvements are constantly considered. “City” water and sewer are available to most sites. The outstanding Monkey Island Volunteer Fire Department is located immediately outside of the community premises. It’s a lovely setting, on a nice part of a beautiful lake. Come see for yourself!